Friday, December 3, 2010

Talk, Touch and Listen

This is my very first blog entry. I am a fairly young widow with three daughters. I had what I would consider a good life with my late husband, but didn't realize how much I had lost until I was really alone. I've been dating on and off for several years now and have learned so much about what is really important in a relationship. It's actually the reason I haven't settled down again. Mostly, I think it's about connecting through both communication and sex. It's important that men and women get to share their feelings without being afraid of criticism or being made fun of or whatever. Men seem to feel like they can't be true to their feelings and sometimes put up a wall. The men who I am most attracted to are the ones who can let down their guard and feel safe enough to tell me exactly how they feel whether good or bad. In regard to sexual relationships, I don't think people get how important human touch is to our well being. When I feel loved and can give and receive affection, it makes every other facet of my life as a single parent easier. When I say, "why doesn't anybody get it?", I mean why can't people understand how important it is to be nice to each other and to love and to touch and to talk and to listen and to think more about their partner? It's really very simple. But many people just don't understand. The divorce rate in this country went over 50% in the past year or two. How much of that has to do with the complete lack of communications between two people. How much of what happens could be healed or even never have been an issue if open communications between the partners happened from the beginning? I'm guessing there are millions of people sitting in front of TV's right now, not talking. I'm guessing there are millions of people moving in separate directions, doing separate activities, doing anything but communicating with each other about the things in their lives that count.

No comments: